As election day draws closer, I find myself distracted from my usual ‘foodie and flexie’ activities by “what ifs”. What if President Obama is not re-elected? What if all of the progress we’ve made in the last four years is lost?
I’ll never forget watching our now Commander in Chief at the 2004 Democratic Convention. I was 16. After his speech I wrote in my journal “I hope that guy will be president one day”.
In 2008, when I was a junior at Occidental College, I had the rare opportunity to drop everything in my life to work full time for something I believed in, The Obama Campaign. Attending the Democratic Convention in Denver in 2008, and working as a field organizer was one of the most inspiring experiences of my life. My hope mingled with the hopes of others, and that hope took us all the way to the White House.
Fast forward four years. A lot of people are talking about the president’s shortcomings…what he hasn’t done for them, how he should have done more. Unfortunately, most of us don’t realize the ways in which this presidency has protected us, guaranteed our safety, and done its best to alleviate the effects of, and fix the brutal economic and social mess it inherited.
Thanks to President Obama, I was able to defer my student loans this past summer without accruing interest. Thanks to him, I am guaranteed healthcare for the next few years, even if my employer should not provide it. Thanks to our president, women’s rights are now being discussed in terms of public policy and economic development. We have a lot to be thankful for. I hope you will join me in expressing your gratitude by casting your vote on November 6th.
And after you’ve voted, settle in to watch President Obama (okay, yes, I believe in the power of affirmation!) get re-elected with this bowl of delicious, sweet and spicy popcorn. Think kettle corn with half the calories and healthy fats instead of saturated fats. It’s sure to keep you smiling all night long. And Mrs O, with her incredible Let’s Move program, would approve!
Hopefully, if we all do our job, it won’t be the only reason for smiles.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or good quality honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels (if possible, GMO free)
- Prepare a large bowl of plain air popped popcorn
- In a small skillet, heat coconut oil until it’s a clear liquid
- Add maple syrup OR honey into coconut oil and whisk together until completely mixed
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then drizzle slowly over popcorn, stirring until the popcorn is evenly coated
- Sprinkle cinnamon, sea salt, and cayenne pepper over popcorn and toss. Enjoy!